Pitch Black has always been one of our best sellers. Aside from expanding the Pitch Black series to include additional sizes and interior page styles, we’ve also upgraded the look and feel of the books. Perhaps the most significant change is moving the series to custom-duplexed covers. Working with our pals at the French Paper Company in Niles, Michigan, we created a Field Notes-exclusive cover stock made up of “Blacktop” for the outsides and fused it to our standby “Packing Brown Wrap” for the insides. It was a big undertaking, involving lots of steps and the final result is pretty special. For those who dig machines in motion and sweet and messy industrial environments, we present “Cover Story”, a documentary on the whole process.
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- 02. Cover: French Paper Co. custom-made 118#C “Pitch Black Duplex” (“Blacktop” and “Packing Brown Wrap”) with a brute force application of “Stephanite” (outside) and “Dachshund Nose Black” (inside) soy-based Saphira inks.
- 03. Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Light Mist Gray” soy-based Saphira ink.
- 04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color press.
- 05. Bound with gloss black staple wire on a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker.
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
- 07. Dot-Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm). Ruled lines: 1/4" (6.4mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. All FIELD NOTES note books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.